Welcome to the SWA Tools Portal!
Looking for a tool to strengthen WASH in your country? To get started, select the Building Block or Action Point you want to explore below. A set of filters will appear to the left. You will be able to narrow down your search by filtering the region/country, scope, subsector, language, and organization.
At any time, you may browse all tools or select another building block by clicking on the appropriate link in the horizontal menu above. You may also use the search box on the right to search by keyword.
- Budgets and expenditure frameworks
- Explore financial data
- Financial planning
- Coordination Mechanisms
- Legal and regulatory frameworks
About this portal
The Portal houses tools that help national governments and their development partners put the different aspects of the SWA Framework including, Building Blocks, Collaborative Behaviours, Guiding Principles into practice. The portal is a constantly-growing database and resource list, and is easily searchable by keywords.
The objectives of the portal are to:
- Provide a “one stop shop” through which sector practitioners, policy and decision-makers can select tools to support the implementation of WASH Building Blocks and Collaborative Behaviours appropriate to the specific context and purpose for which they are needed
- Provide for a platform facilitating easy access to experiences gained and lessons learned by different actors and in different countries who have used the tools.
- Support countries to take leadership of the tools they use (and move away from tool use that is driven by donor preference and funding)
- Prevent further fragmentation and duplication of tools
- Identify gaps where tools don’t exist and work together to fill them
If your organization would like to add a tool, please follow these instructions.
Add a tool to the portal
Are you a tool developer or author of a case study or report relevant to strengthening WASH?
You are welcome to add your tool using the form below. But please first check if it meets our criteria. For a WASH tool to be included in this Portal, it must:
- Focus on WASH “software” – policies, processes and techniques that help strengthen the WASH enabling environment (upstream). It does not include tools for the implementation of WASH hardware or infrastructure (downstream).
- Be primarily focussed on targets 6.1 (water) and 6.2 (sanitation and hygiene) of the SDGs. Case studies/reports etc. that are related to the MDGs or other SDGs should only be included if they are relevant for learning about implementation of SDG6.1 or 6.2.
- Be open source (available for use with no license or purchase fees).