SWA is launching in Addis a sneak-preview of the 2015 Progress Update, focusing on financing commitments:
Mid-term review of progress against 2014 High Level Meeting commitments: Snapshot prepared for the Financing for Development Conference
The third High Level Meeting of the Sanitation and Water for All partnership was held in April 2014 in Washington, DC.SWA partners attending the meeting made a total of 383 commitments to remove barriers to progress, eliminate inequalities and ensure sustainability of water and sanitation services. This summary report is the outcome of countries’ and donors’ own, voluntary mid-term assessments of the progress made by March 2015 towards achieving the commitments. Of the 43 countries, 40 reported back, and all 12 of the donors provided inputs to this report.
SWA partners will hold two side-event at the 3rd Financing for Development Conference:
1. "Ensuring availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all: Domestic Resource Mobilization and Innovative Finance"
Four main objectives:
- To exchange knowledge about appropriate funding and finance options to ensure availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all by 2030.
- To mobilize political momentum for designing and implementing funding and financing instruments specifically for water security sustainable universal access to safe water and sanitation by 2030.
- To advocate for ensuring availability and sustainable management of water and sanitation for all by 2030 as a priority in to the outcome document of the Third International Conference on Financing for Development.
- To agree on key milestones towards designing financial instruments and implementing funding and financing instruments specifically sustainable universal access to water and sanitation by 2030
Date: 15 July 2015, 10.00-12.30
Location: Hilton Hotel Menelik II Avenue, Addis Ababa,
Ethiopia Chair: Christiaan Rebergen DGIS Panel
Moderator: Catarina de Albuquerque, Executive Chair, SWA
2. "Financing Sustainable Development - bringing new urgency to ending water and sanitation poverty, catalysing economic development and protecting the environment"
This event, co-hosted by the Ethiopian Government and international NGO WaterAid, brings together a high-level panel, including Liberian President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, Ethiopian Minister of Water, Irrigation and Energy Hon. Alemayehu Tegenu, the Sustainable Development Solutions Network (SDSN) and WaterAid.
It seeks to identify the key challenges facing the international community in financing the Sustainable Development Goals. It is expected that the discussion will encompass development progress in Liberia and Ethiopia, the experience of tackling Ebola, Ethiopia’s Growth and Transformation Plan and the ONE WASH (Water, Sanitation and Hygiene) National Program, the role of women’s rights and gender equality, and the critical need for investment in water, sanitation and hygiene and other basic services.
Each panel member was invited to bring a new announcement of their Government’s or organisation’s approach to financing sustainable development. The organisers envisage a stimulating debate between panel and audience, covering the three dimensions of sustainable development, and the need for renewed urgency and purpose from the international community in finding financing solutions.
SWA partners Ethiopia and WaterAid are holding an event to explore the importance of financing for sustainable development with a particular focus on water and sanitation. Speakers at the event will include H.E. Ellen Johnson Sirleaf, President of Liberia and AMCOW Goodwill Ambassador for water.
The event will take place on Wednesday, 15 July at 18:15 at the Elilly Hotel in Addis Ababa.
To register, please respond here.