The Secretariat of Sanitation and Water for All (SWA) is currently recruiting a Constituency Engagement Specialist. The position will be hosted by LIS-Water, Lisbon International Centre for Water, in Lisbon, Portugal.
Title: Constituency Engagement Specialist | Location of Assignment: LIS-Water’s headquarters, located at the LNEC campus, Avenida do Brasil, 101, 1700-066 Lisbon, Portugal.| Languages required: Fluency in English is required, and knowledge of Spanish, Portuguese and/or French is a strong asset| Duration of Contract: The position is initially offered as a 1 year contract, with possibility of renewal | Start date: As soon as possible, in consultation| Section & unit: Sanitation and Water for All Secretariat (the position is hosted by LIS-Water, Lisbon International Centre for Water, in Portugal) | Consultant: Reporting to Joost Kooijmans, COO, Sanitation and Water for All Partnership.
BACKGROUND & RATIONALE
Hosted by LNEC (National Laboratory of Civil Engineering), LIS-Water, Lisbon International Centre for Water, is a non-profit association. Its mission is to contribute to improving public policies, regulation and management of water services (water supply, wastewater and storm water), as well as associated water resources. Its vision is to drive change in the world through better water governance, within the framework of sustainable development. LIS-Water promotes a three-pillar approach: an appropriate public policy for improving water services; an effective and efficient regulation to implement public policy; and an effective and efficient service management for materialising public policy on the ground. LIS-Water is supported by more than 125 organisations, whose profiles cover the main water sector’s stakeholders and geographically the five continents. LNEC is a founder member of LIS-Water, and sits on the board of directors.
Hosted by UNICEF, Sanitation and Water for All, (SWA) is a global partnership of governments, external support agencies, civil society organizations, research & learning bodies, and the private sector, united in their commitment to delivering universal access to water, sanitation and hygiene, in line with the Sustainable Development Goals. Established in 2010, the SWA partnership works towards this goal by strengthening collaboration, improving performance, ensuring mutual accountability and seeking increased political support and financing for WASH. The partnership is governed by a Steering Committee, elected by its members. UNICEF is a founder member of SWA, sits on SWA’s Steering Committee, and has hosted SWA’s Secretariat since 2010. Over the years, Sanitation and Water for All (SWA) has grown to over 200 partners, including 70 member States.
JOB ORGANIZATIONAL CONTEXT
Applications are invited from suitably qualified, experienced, innovative, result-oriented and self-driven professionals.
The position reinforces the existing SWA Secretariat staff with the purpose of supporting the mobilization and work of SWA’s non-government partners (external support agencies, the private sector and research & learning institutions) to support countries in their public policy to reach the water, sanitation and hygiene-related targets of the Sustainable Development Goals, with a focus on the most marginalized and excluded from WASH services and on implementing the mutual accountability mechanism of SWA.
Under the supervision of the SWA Chief Operating Officer, the Constituency Engagement Specialist will:
- Mobilize and work with SWA’s non-government partners (external support agencies, research & learning, and the private sector constituencies) to support countries to reach their water, sanitation and hygiene-related targets of the Sustainable Development Goals, particularly encouraging a focus on the most marginalized and excluded from WASH services and on implementing the mutual accountability mechanism of SWA;
- Oversee the overall partnership drive; identify specific constituencies, regions and organizations that need further engagement; and help formulate ways to increase this engagement;
- Promote regional engagement through the development and implementation of strategic partnerships with national and regional bodies.
Overall, the Specialist will:
- Coordinate the mobilization and engagement of SWA’s partners;
- Support the implementation of the constituency activities;
- Develop and implement strategic partnerships;
- Provide support to the individual constituency representatives; the Specialist will take guidance from and coordinate with the Constituencies’ representatives on the SWA Steering Committee.
SUMMARY OF RESULTS-BASED KEY FUNCTIONS/ACCOUNTABILITIES
The Constituency Engagement Specialist will be accountable to the SWA Chief Operating Officer (COO) for all substantive and functional aspects and delivery of tasks and will be under the supervision of the LIS-Water, for technical tutoring on public policy, regulation and management of WASH services, as well as daily management and administrative operations. The SWA Constituency engagement specialist will maintain independence and neutrality towards his/her host organization.
Under the guidance of the respective constituency representatives, the Specialist will conduct the following activities:
Mobilize partners to effectively participate in constituencies at global and national levels
- Engage External Support Agencies, Private Sector, and Research and Learning partners (“partners”) and increase their participation in activities of the respective constituencies;
- Support and mobilize the engagement partners ahead of, during and following the Finance Ministers’ Meeting(s);
- Support partners in developing specific constituency strategies that are aligned with SWA’s overall 2020-2030 Strategy;
- Mobilize partners to engage in the SWA Mutual Accountability Mechanism by discussing and tabling commitments at the national and global levels and support follow-up and reporting;
- Support the communication team to gather successful stories about partners’ work and collaboration with SWA.
- Support the Constituencies in their partnership drives activities by pro-actively following up on potential candidates, requests for information and other related activities;
- Prepare information and communications packages and activities for new SWA partners, arrange induction webinars and undertake a due diligence for them to join the partnership.
Constituencies’ in-country engagement
- Support the Constituencies in the identification, establishment and functioning of national focal points;
- Support Constituency partners in their involvement in SWA (MAM) pilot countries;
- Develop and implement a workplan for strategic support to regional events for regional partnerships in conjunction with the Advocacy and Country specialists.
- Organize and implement consultation and feedback meetings with the Constituency partners in preparation or in follow-up on the Steering Committee meetings;
- Provide logistical and admin support in Constituency meetings including handling communication software and note taking;
- Support the Constituencies’ representatives in monitoring follow-up actions resulting from the constituency meetings;
- Support constituency representatives at the SC in organizing and promoting SWA related activities, sharing of information, etc.;
- Provide liaison and coordination with SWA Governance bodies;
- Support constituencies in organizing and carrying out regular Steering Committee elections.
Organization and communications
- Keep the Constituency mailing lists updated;
- Organize the Constituency platform (e.g. Dgroup platform or another suitable medium), including a common space for easy access to Constituency documents including meeting notes and a system for sharing relevant study results and publications by Constituencies’ partners with the larger SWA community;
- Maintain updated records of partner Focal Points contacts;
- Support the Constituencies’ in response to requests from the SWA secretariat (e.g., requests for information, invitations, etc.) and support the Constituencies’ representatives in channeling demands for information, financial support or otherwise to the SWA secretariat.
- Effective and efficient coordination of constituency activities, resulting in active and meaningful participation of the constituencies in SWA.
KEY COMPETENCES, TECHNICAL BACKGROUND, AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
Qualifications of the Successful Candidate
- Advanced university degree in social sciences, business management, administration, water or sanitation, or any other relevant field of discipline.
- Eight years of experience, with a minimum of 5 years in supporting multi-stakeholder platforms and/or partnerships and in mobilizing and engaging with a variety of stakeholders; previous employment with any of the constituencies would be a strong asset;
- Proven interest and experience in international development cooperation and, in particular, the area of water, sanitation and hygiene is an asset;
- Experience in working in multi-national/cultural settings.
- An excellent command of the English language is required (writing, speaking, and comprehension). Knowledge of Spanish, Portuguese and/or French is a strong asset.
Competencies of Successful Candidate
- Service minded and highly responsive;
- Enthusiastic, pro-active and flexible;
- Strong interpersonal skills and effective communicator with good writing skills; Spanish, Portuguese and/or French language writing skills is an asset;
- Curious, highly self-motivating and ability to work independently with limited guidance;
- Eager to learn and keen interest in web-based research;
- Familiar with social media and ability to write short web articles and blogs.
DETAILS OF THE POSITION
One year contract will initially be offered, hosted by LIS-Water, with a remuneration depending on qualifications and experience, with a maximum of € 3500. The work is in principle physically based, but flexibility trough teleworking will be considered if appropriate, under agreement of both parts. The post will require a working permit for Portugal (granted automatically for EU citizens).
SUBMISSION OF APPLICATIONS
LIS-Water and SWA are committed to diversity and inclusion and encourage all candidates, irrespective of gender, nationality, religious and ethnic backgrounds, including persons living with disabilities, to apply.
Interested individuals are encouraged to submit applications explaining their interest and competencies matching the job description outlined above. Updated Curriculum Vitae (max 5 pages) must be attached, detailing: name, date of birth, nationality, education, language skills, other skills, current and previous positions, time of professional activity, main expertise, professional experience, international experience, participation in multi-stakeholder platforms and/or partnerships, and publications.
Applications must be submitted by 15 July 2020 to the email address: firstname.lastname@example.org, and with a copy to email@example.com Please mention “Application for SWA Constituency Engagement position” in the topic of the email.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and advanced to the next stage of the selection process.
For additional information please visit the SWA website at www.sanitationandwaterforall.org or LIS-Water website at www.lis-water.org.